The Medical Women’s International Association (MWIA) is an international organization of women physicians from all six continents and is divided into eight regions. Canada, along with the American Medical Women’s Association, makes up the North American Region. Your membership in the Federation of Medical Women of Canada automatically gives you membership in MWIA. Participation of medical students, residents, and those new to practice is augmented by the special interest group for young doctors and medical students.
Founded in 1919 :
- MWIA is one of the oldest professional international bodies and is non-sectarian and non-profit making.
- MWIA is in official relations with the World Health Organization and has Category II status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
- MWIA has an important voice and influence on issues of interest to medical women such as work-life balance, maternity leave, career progression, fighting discrimination and mentoring of young medical doctors and students.
- MWIA initiates and supports scientific projects relating to health and well-being – locally, nationally and globally.
- MWIA has developed training modules for physicians including on gender mainstreaming, violence against women and girls, and adolescent sexuality.
- MWIA serves as a platform for medical women and students to foster dialogue and action on various health issues internationally such as female genital mutilation, women’s reproductive health and maternal and infant mortality.