Your National Resident Representatives hope you will join the Federation of Medical Women of Canada (FMWC) and allow us the opportunity of working with you all. The FMWC strives to support and engage female medical residents in a multitude of ways; including mentorship and career planning which is an important aspect of residency and one that is not easy to explore while working busy hours.
The FMWC Resident Group is a national network that hosts a variety of events that further the skills and interests of residents. Our breadth of events span professional and social development workshops and include awareness and advocacy initiatives on both local and national levels. We are excited for you to participate in our newest professional development series, Learner Roundtables. In these sessions, we invite speakers to discuss and share their experiences on various topics such as mentorship, leadership, and even provide CaRMS advice. This is an excellent opportunity to network, learn, and collaborate with healthcare leaders across Canada!
We are also very excited to offer scholarships for research and leadership from generous donors and supporters. Residents, we encourage you to BECOME MEMBERS of the Federation of Medical Women of Canada and take advantage of all we have to offer!
Please consider joining the FMWC as a resident and becoming part of a growing national network of physicians while also benefiting from the incredible professional opportunities available to members!
As a member, you will learn firsthand from professionals in your field, find mentors, learn how to network, and make lifelong friends. FMWC resident members benefit from FMWC activities at branch and national levels, and receive a complimentary membership with the Medical Women’s International Association.
Some benefits of becoming an official resident member of the FMWC:
- Eligibility to apply for awards each year at the National Conference.
- Access to mentorship and networking events where you have the opportunity to meet physicians and/or medical students to seek or offer career advice, chat about work-life balance and/or provide shadowing opportunities.
- Access to the Learner Roundtable events, which offer multiple workshops on a wide variety of topics chosen by resident and medical student members.
- Get discounted rates to the National Conference/Annual General Meeting, which takes place in a different Canadian city each fall and is an opportunity to network with physicians from all over Canada and hear expert lecturers in the field of women’s health
- Leadership opportunities: You may apply to become your branch’s resident representative and help plan FMWC events in your community.
- Get nominated for FMWC’s national resident representative and sit on the board.
- Join a committee and get involved in an area that interests you such as Women’s, Peace & Security, Women’s Cardiac & Cerebrovascular Health, Finance, HPV, FMWC Governance or Nominations.
If you have any questions, or any suggestions for future resident events, please do not hesitate to contact the FMWC National Office at [email protected]
*The FMWC National Resident Representative(s) attends meetings of the Board of Directors and brings to the attention of the board, issues of relevance to female medical residents. This individual is a voting member of the board and is nominated by her peers.Student & Resident Representative Handbook