The FMWC Student Group is a national network of local FMWC branches that host a variety of events that further the skills and interests of female medical students as physicians-in-training. Our breadth of events span professional and social development workshops and include awareness and advocacy events on both local and national levels. We are also very excited to offer scholarships for research and an annual student leadership award.
Please consider joining FMWC as a student now and become quickly involved in a growing national network of female physicians and benefit from the incredible professional opportunities available to members! The Federation of Medical Women of Canada (FMWC) not only welcomes female medical students to become members, but encourages them to do so with reduced membership fees of only $25.
You’ll learn firsthand from professionals in your field, finding mentors when you need one most as well as make lifelong friends. As well as benefiting from FMWC activities at branch and national levels, FMWC student members can participate in student activities of the Medical Women’s International Association
Some benefits of becoming an official student member of the FMWC:
- Eligibility to apply for the National Student Leadership Award given each year at the National Conference.
- Eligibility to apply for Student Travel Awards to attend our annual national Annual General Meeting and Conference, taking place in a different city each year. This award is funded by MD Financial Management.
- Access to your local Mentoring Program where you are matched with a physician who can provide career advice, chat about work-life balance and provide shadowing opportunities.
- Opportunity to attend Learner Roundtable Events – featuring current topics and engaging speakers.
- Discounted rates to attend our AGM & Conference – a great opportunity to network with physicians from all over Canada and hear expert lectures in the field of women’s health
- Leadership opportunities: you can apply to become your branch’s student representative and help plan FMWC events in your community, you can apply for FMWC’s national student representative to support branch representatives and sit on the board, and you can take lead roles on individual community initiatives such as the national PAP Campaign, HPV Prevention Week, expert talks and networking events.
*The FMWC National Student Representatives attend meetings of the Board of Directors and brings to the attention of the board and issues of relevance to female medical students. The student representative holds a vote on the Board of Directors.Student Representative Handbook