MARGARET OWENS-WAITE Worked in Winnipeg for decades, travelling to rural areas of Manitoba in to see patients.
She was Pioneer in the Federation of Medical Women of Canada, Past President, and a founding member of the MWIA.
She attended the landmark meeting at an International Congress in Amsterdam in 1947, where the Canadian medical women were recognized by the Dutch medical society and where she accepted the Arnhem Medal for the Federation, which has become the inaugural medal for incoming presidents ever since.
This award provides a $1,000 scholarship to a FMWC practicing full member or resident wishing to further her medical education or complete temporary work in an under serviced, rural location or developing country or present an original paper at a medical meeting. Priority is given for presentation at Medical Women’s International Association (MWIA) meetings.
Terms of Reference:
- The award shall be presented annually to a member in any category, who demonstrates commitment to further their education or research in women’s health, particularly in rural or developing areas. Priority to be given to work to be presented at MWIA meetings.
- When submitting your nomination, submit the nomination form available at FMWC.ca/awards. The deadline for submitting nominations is January 26th, 2024.
- A copy of the nominee’s CV must also be submitted to National Office at [email protected]
- This award is eligible for Self-nomination.
- Nominations must be submitted electronically and must include a statement of max. 500 words and a CV, emailed to the National Office.
- The Awards committee will make the final decision on the award recipient and provide an update to the Board. The Board makes the final approval of the The FMWC is under no obligation to present the award annually if a suitable candidate is not determined by the awards committee.
- The winner of the award will be invited to the AGM to receive the award and will be reimbursed the cost of AGM registration, one night’s accommodation at the event hotel and travel to the AGM (limited travel support for the winner may be available).
- The current FMWC Co-Chairs of the awards committee and members of the executive committee will be ineligible for this award.
The Margaret Owen-Waite Memorial Fund (MOWMF) provides a $1,000 scholarship to a FMWC practicing physician full member or resident wishing to further her medical education or complete temporary work in an under serviced, rural location or developing country or present an original paper at a medical meeting, with priority given to Medical Women’s International Association (MWIA) meetings.
Nominations are open until January 26th, 2024. Self nomination is encouraged.